SECRETS OF THE CRAFT



I love the tranquility of working in my small workshop and the calm of the wood that peacefully reveals its stories.
Grinding wood is a painstaking process. It has to be done slowly and with a clear mind, as I have been taught. And that brings back my grandfather’s words from many years ago: “Totul trebuie facut in tihna” which is the Romanian equivalent of “Slow and steady wins the race”.
 I like to take the time to understand the wood fibers and let the shapes of the wood flow naturally. As I work the wood by hand and follow its natural grain, each object becomes unique and difficult to match if it were to be mass-produced.

The more time I spend and focus on the wood in my workshop, the easier it is for me to follow its natural shape and as a result I gain more respect for nature, creation, man.
Being a carpenter is labor intensive. Every project requires precision, there is no place for mistakes. There is no way to cheat in this trade. In smaller workshops they are more geared towards creation rather than mass-production, and thus making a product takes longer. In order to compete you must have skill and vision which you instill into each object as it tells your story. All these things lead to a unique experience that you can only receive from a small workshop.

In a city rich in cultural aspects, Iasi represents a small group of craftsmen that carry on the fascinating and lively stories of woodworking. In my quest of learning how to work with wood, I managed to captivate the essence of classical woodworking and instill it into the Strasnic cutting boards. Serving dishes on wooden cutting boards represents the joy and candor of the Romanian heritage.
From my “small, crazy dream” intended to change the image of serving culinary dishes, returning to our roots, culture and wooden cutting boards, Strasnic was born.

Comentarii